Thursday, January 14, 2010

Never Give Up!


Horsemanship and Authorship are not for the faint-hearted. Having competed in the horse show ring for years taught me humility, patience and the willingness to do what it takes to sharpen my performance. In the early years there were shows where I left the ring without even an 8th place ribbon. The judge, in essence, telling me I just wasn't good enough. Even when I began to actually win a blue ribbon, there certainly were judges who sent me away with the message I simply wasn't a winner.


I believe my horse show life gave me the thick skin necessary to make it in the publishing world. A writer must perserve through dozens of rejection letters. My earlier training made it a little easier for me to go back to my computer and look at my work with a more critical eye. Eventually it paid off and publication is my blue ribbon.
This is a photo of my writing partner, "Tarzi." curled up here in manuscript boxes. One actually found a publisher! Probably with the help of my magic cat!


So, if you've been tossed off your horse, or the publisher dumped your manuscript in the trash, let's hear what has propeled you to back in the saddle -- or re-vamp your manuscript.

1 comment:

  1. Patti-
    THIS IS GREAT!!! I understand about manuscripts, publisher’s & even agents dumping my hard work into the trash. If I had given up, I would never be where I am now!!! My life is GREAT!!!
    Never Give Up!!!
    Dennis Schleicher
    http://www.OtherMan.typepad.com
    http://www.MarketSellMoreBooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete